Whenever you use your personal computer and the Internet, there is a potential risk of contracting a computer virus or the possibility of infiltration by intrusion software commonly known as "Trojan Horses". Computer viruses can modify programs, delete files and erase the contents of hard drives. "Trojan Horses" can have similar effects and may be able to capture keystrokes, including passwords or other secret information. Spyware and other deceptive software can also conduct certain activities on your computer without your knowledge or consent.
The potential consequences of any of these threats could include damage to your personal computer, compromise of your secret information and the inability to use Scotia OnLine.
For these reasons, we've partnered with McAfee to offer Scotia OnLine customers 12 months free McAfee AntiVirus Plus:
- Detects, blocks and removes viruses from your PC
- Blocks online intruders from hacking into your PC with 2-way Firewall
- SiteAdvisor®1 helps you identify risky websites before you click
- Automatic updates will keep you continuously protected throughout your subscription:
- If you chose to download free software other than McAfee, especially software that offers faster web surfing and email virus scanning, we strongly advise you to carefully read the terms of any free services you accept or software you download online before you accept them. They are known to sometimes include your consent to having your entire Internet browsing activity, including secure transactions monitored. In consenting to such terms, you may allow the service provider to collect highly personal information such as your bank account and credit card numbers and passwords. Your Scotia OnLine password is confidential and must never be shared with any outside person or company. In divulging your password, you contravene the terms of your ScotiaCard Cardholder Agreement and you will be fully liable for any unauthorized access to your accounts and all associated losses arising from these disclosures.
Find out more about spyware and deceptive software:
Download Free Rapport Security Software
To help customers prevent against malicious software ("malware"), Scotiabank has partnered with Trusteer to offer free Rapport software. Rapport is a compliment to anti-virus software and firewalls you may already have in place. It's easy to download, takes only a few minutes, and does not require a computer restart. We recommend you download and install Rapport to any computer you use to for online banking.
Learn more about how Rapport can protect you.